Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day #17 - Love promotes intimacy

Sometimes my husband just doesn’t get me. After all he’s a guy and guys just aren’t usually in to sharing extremely personal thoughts. I like to talk about the important things (in my opinion) like how I feel or what I want to accomplish in my life. My husband isn’t much for talking to begin with so sharing is always difficult. If it’s sports then he is all talk. Anything deeper than what our next vacation is going to be is the limit.

I do know what makes my husband cry (he’s done it three times since we’ve been married) and I know what he fears the most (I’ll go to my grave holding on to that secret). But sometimes it’s healthy even in a good marriage to take time to review the hopes, fears and dreams of your spouse which is what I chose to do. What surprised me was how he reacted. He actually shared some things that told me he truly trusts me. I reassured him I was his most vocal cheerleader. I even made him laugh.

I’m beginning to understand how a husband and wife can become one mind. Not because I don’t have my own opinions but because his concerns are my concerns and his successes become my successes. He is my most vocal cheerleader. Some of things I complain about the most have become a lot less important as long as we can continue to communicate.

No comments: