Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day #18 - Love seeks to understand

Getting my husband to focus on dinner for just the two of us is tough. It took me a week to get him to commit to a night and time. Our daughter had a sleep over so we had plenty of time to spend together. Talking is something he struggles with and to share his own personal thoughts are very rare. Sometimes its not what you say but how you listen to others that count the most.

The food was great and my husband was delighted that I put so much effort into it. The fun part was just being able to talk about silly things. I didn't learn a lot of new things about him but I did have fun just talking about our daughter, his childhood (which he normally never talks about) and especially things we could do together. I learned that little boys have different issues growing up than girls do. Even with two brothers I learned things about guys I never knew. We could laugh and relax just being together.

We will definitely plan an evening just the two of us again. We decided it was worth it because our daughter will not be with us forever and soon we'll have lots of time to talk so we better practice now. I think the dinner helped me understand that if I listen I'll discover a lot more about my husband than I thought I knew. Sometimes you need it to be very quiet to hear the music in your heart.

No comments: